Question: What is a 209A order?
Answer: An abuse prevention order, called a "209A Order", or a "protective order," or a "restraining order" is a civil court order intended to provide protection from physical or sexual harm caused by force or threat of harm from a family member or a household member. You can obtain an order against:
- a spouse or former spouse,
- a present or former household member,
- a relative by blood or a present or former relative by marriage,
- the parent of your minor child, or
- a person with whom you have or have had a substantial dating relationship.